The only time it's acceptable to focus on the future is to plan it!
5 ways to focus on the present moment:
- Focus on your breathing. (in, out, in, out............)
- Take notice of the things directly around you. Notice the temperature, the smells. etc.
- Embrace your present emotional state. Don't wish happiness, sadness, just be as you are right at that moment. Don't label your emotions, just be still and take them as they are.
- Turn on some music. When I'm having a really hard time focusing I like to turn on my nature sounds station on Pandora. I just focus on the sounds and this helps bring me back.
- Consciously choose the present moment. Sometimes I have to tell myself to stop wandering and come back to the here and now. Sounds crazy but it works for me!